FREE Weight Training Workouts
Try Our Fitness Software Routines
And Get Super Fast Gains In
Muscle Building and Fat Loss!
Enter your first name and a valid email address
for instant access to the free workout routines.
|Fat Substitutions |
--by Victoria Mitchell
Try these great ideas for reducing fat in your diet:
- For a rich, creamy sauce or soup that's low in fat and calories, use evaporated skim milk instead of heavy cream. You can save more than 80 grams of fat and 600 calories for every cup used.
- Use fat-free plain yogurt in place of sour cream. While fat-free sour cream seems like the best substitute, it lacks the rich body and flavor of plain yogurt.
- Instead of oil, margarine or butter in baked foods, substitute an equal amount of plain (not sweetened) applesauce. You can save more than 900 calories and 100 grams of fat for each 1/2 cup used.
- Pureed prunes or baby food prunes can be a fat replacement in baked chocolate foods such as brownies and cakes. They add a naturally sweet flavor and a chewy texture.
- If frosting is your thing, replace the margarine or butter in your recipe with marshmallow cream. YUM YUM !!
- When making cookies, why not cut the fat by cutting the amount of extras in the recipe, for example, only use 1/2 the amount of chips when making chocolate chip cookies, and use only half the amount of walnuts in the brownie recipe.
Try These Low Fat Food Recipies
1 package chewy fudge brownie mix
2 egg whites
1/3 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Combine brownie mix, egg whites, yogurt and vanilla extract in large bowl. Stir with spoon until well blended (batter will be stiff). Spread into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until set. Cool completely. Thicker brownies can be made in a 8 or 9 inch pan instead.
Low Fat Cake
1 box conventional cake mix
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Select your favorite cake mix.
- Prepare according to package directions with the following modifications:
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour to the dry mix and blend well
- Substitute equal amounts of applesauce for the vegetable oil
- Substitute an equal number of egg whites for whole eggs
- Cool in pans(s) on rack, removing when completely cool.
- Don't forget to use some of the frosting tips above!
Click Here For Your Free Fitness Magazine